Monday, May 2, 2011

Too much division...

I'm not talking about math... though I do despise the subject.
America is divided beyond belief.
Republican vs. Democrat (Or Liberal vs. Conservative)
Catholicism vs. Islam vs. Protestantism vs. Atheism
Boxers vs. Briefs
Pessimists vs. Optimists
White vs. Black
And so many more! People automatically judge if they see an Obama/ Biden 08 or McCain/ Palin 08 on someone's car. WHY? Why do we have to be so discriminatory against others' views?
My most recent incident with this is the death of Osama Bin Laden, most specifically President Obama's address to the American citizens. After his speech, I looked on Facebook to see what others had posted. Most of what I witnessed was inadequate education. People were criticizing unimportant details about Obama. For example, how he said Pakistan--Really? For the record, he said it correctly. Most Americans say the word incorrectly. Another was complaining at how Obama was a "worthless scrotum," but neglected to follow up with anything evidence or reasons as to why they believed that. I don't care what your beliefs are, whether you like our president or not, but there are two things that I'd like to address:
1. Back up your beliefs with some evidence and legitimate reasons otherwise you make yourself look like an ass.
2. Obama is our president, he was voted in democratically and deserves respect. In case the reader hadn't noticed, I am fairly liberal, but I did not disrespect President Bush. All of our presidents deserve respect because they are our leaders.

Some days, I feel like I've lost faith in humankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment